DMOS Payment Policies
Our Payment Policies & What You Need to Know
Charges at DMOS Orthopaedic Centers are based on a provider fee. If you have questions about the information below and/or the cost of your procedure, please feel free to call our staff in the DMOS Billing Office. You can reach them at (515) 537-2860.
Following healthcare standards, DMOS will be asking for your co-payment at the time of check-in for services to be provided. If you are unable to provide proof of insurance and/or do not have insurance, a $300 deposit will be required. You have the option to reschedule your appointment until proof of insurance can be provided or you can pay the $300. This is strictly a deposit to be seen and does not reflect the total amount of your charges.
If your test or procedure is elective and not covered by insurance, you will be asked to pay the estimated price at that time. You will be billed for any remaining balance.
For your convenience, we accept the following payment types:
- Money Order
- Credit Cards
PRE-COLLECTION (BEFORE YOUR SURGERY)
At DMOS, we want to ensure that you receive the full amount of benefits in your insurance coverage. Before our billing department contacts you regarding your pre-surgery payment, we will contact your insurance carrier(s) to provide you with an (estimated) total amount due. The total amount due is required before your surgery. If the amount due is not paid in full within one week of your scheduled procedure, your surgery will be rescheduled until payment arrangements can be made.
Emergency services will never be delayed or withheld on the basis of a patient’s ability to pay.
YOU HAVE INSURANCE
On your behalf, DMOS will submit your charges to your insurance company for processing. For the remainder of the bill not covered by insurance, you are responsible for ensuring it is paid in full before your surgery. The amount due provided to you by the DMOS billing team is a real-time estimate. If the estimate is higher/lower than what is paid, you will either be reimbursed for overpayment or responsible for the remainder of the balance.
It is also your responsibility to be aware of exclusions, benefits, co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles in your insurance plan.
IF YOU USE MEDICARE, WE ARE REQUIRED TO:
Ask questions to decide whether Medicare should be listed as the primary or secondary insurance. These questions must be reviewed each time of registration to ensure our information is accurate.
IF YOU ARE A MEDICAID PATIENT, WE ARE REQUIRED TO:
Ensure that you are eligible for coverage at the time of service and present a card for the current month. If your Medicaid eligibility shows you have additional insurance, you must also present that insurance card.
DMOS is committed to serving the healthcare needs of our communities that we serve. If you would like to discuss your payments or have any questions, please contact the DMOS billing department directly at (515) 537-2860.
- Your current insurance card(s) and photo identification with you to every appointment.
- Previous x-rays or diagnostic tests pertinent to the injury being evaluated, please bring those images and reports with you.
- This often will prevent duplication of x-rays. Scans or x-rays may be supplied to you on film or CD, either is acceptable.
- A list of all medications you are currently taking, including over- the- counter medications, vitamins, etc.
- If you are diabetic or have another health condition that requires frequent nourishment, you are encouraged to bring a snack. Please note, there is not a cafeteria available at DMOS.
- Come prepared with questions. Write your questions and concerns down in advance. Feel free to take notes during your visit to help you remember everything you learned.
If the patient is under 18, please also bring:
- If you have a child insured by a parent or guardian not living in the home, please obtain the insurance card or a copy (front and back) in advance and bring it with you.
- Patients under 18 years of age cannot be seen without a parent or guardian present for the visit.
- Please be prepared to pay all co-payments at each appointment. If you do not have insurance, please be prepared to make payment in full. You are welcome to speak with our billing department directly to inquire about fees, payment plans, etc.
- If your care is being paid for by third-party liability coverage it is critical that you bring all pertinent information with you (claim number, payer number, address, phone number, contact person, etc.). Please see Health Insurance Fees and Payments for our policy about Third Party Liability.
- If your injury is related to a work-comp claim, pre-authorization is required before an appointment is scheduled. If you report the injury as a workers compensation claim during your visit and your appointment was not preauthorized, you are responsible for the fees.
These are pieces of information that we are commonly asked regarding appointments:
- If you are not English speaking, please feel free to invite a bilingual speaking adult (over 18 years of age) to attend the appointment with you.
- If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please notify us so that we may use the time for other patients.
- Please know the appointment time provided to you is not necessarily a confirmation of when you will see the doctor. The appointment time is the time we have asked that you be available so we can complete the following to prepare for your exam with the doctor: registration; any necessary x-rays to be taken; history reviewed; casts, braces, sutures, etc. evaluated and/or removed.
- DMOS understands that your time is valuable, and our doctors try to stay on schedule for each appointment. However, our doctors want to ensure they can provide adequate discussion and consultation at every patients’ appointment, which can sometimes affect our schedule. We thank you for understanding that our patients’ need for excellence in orthopedic care comes first.
- If you are traveling from outside Des Moines and need to book a hotel stay before your appointment, or while a family member is having an operation, please call one of our Heart of America hotel partners listed here, for rates and availability. Please remember this is an expense for which DMOS is not responsible.