Chris Nelson, DO
Hip & Knee Surgeon
Urbandale native Dr. Chris Nelson has enjoyed his time as a DMOS Orthopaedic Centers hip and knee surgeon since joining the practice in 2010. Dr. Nelson’s practice focuses on the areas of hip and knee surgeries. He is one of the only orthopedic surgeons in Iowa with fellowship level training in both hip replacement and hip arthroscopy. In addition, Dr. Nelson has a vast knowledge of both complex and simple joint replacements and revision joint replacements.
Outside of his practice, Dr. Nelson enjoys supporting local sporting events, which includes providing sideline orthopedic coverage for the Des Moines Bucs Hockey team and other local organizations. He also enjoys golf, snow sports, and above all spending time with his family.
- West Des Moines · 6001 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Des Moines University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines, IA
- Washington University in St. Louis, Barnes- Jewish Hospital (Joint Preservation, Resurfacing and Replacement)
St. Louis, MO
- American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Michigan State University, Garden City Hospital
Garden City, MI
- Iowa Medical Society
- Iowa Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Direct anterior hip replacement
- Minimally invasive total hip arthroplasty
- Total and partial knee replacements including Robotic-Assisted Mako partial knee replacement
- Same-day total joint replacement
- Sports related injury care and management
- Arthroscopic knee surgery
- Regenerative Medicine – Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP), Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC), Autologous Protein Solution (APS)
- Pediatric fracture care
- Worker’s compensation injury
Dr. Nelson's Team
Alexandra Brunner, PA-C
Alexandra Brunner completed her Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa.
Doctor Interviews & Insights
Are you looking for a specific doctor or area of specialty?
Either way, we want to get you to the right place.