Joseph Brunkhorst, D.O.
Sports Medicine and Knee, Hip & Shoulder Surgeon
Iowa native Joseph Brunkhorst, D.O. completed fellowship training in sports medicine and arthroscopy at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Dr. Brunkhorst developed his interest in sports medicine while competing as a NCAA Division I athlete during his undergraduate education at Iowa State University. Prior to joining DMOS Orthopaedic Surgeons in 2015, he also served as a Captain in the U.S. Army. Dr. Brunkhorst specializes in shoulder and knee arthroscopy, knee ligament reconstruction, shoulder arthroplasty – including reverse total shoulder arthroplasty, cartilage restoration procedures – to include the new MACI and joint injections. Dr. Brunkhorst also has an interest in hip arthroscopy and enjoys helping patients with new, advanced hip procedures. Dr. Brunkhorst also manages the care of sports-related injuries and conditions, as well as workers’ compensation cases. He is committed to continuing education and research, so he is able to offer the most advanced and state-of-the-art treatments to his patients.
Outside of seeing patients, Dr. Brunkhorst enjoys hunting, snow skiing, traveling, and spending time with family.
- Medical Education: Des Moines University, D.O., 2006, Des Moines, IA
- Orthopaedic Internship: Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center, 2006-2007, Fort Gordon, GA
- General Medical Officer, U.S. Army: 2007 – 2010
- Battalion Surgeon, Iraq: 2009
- Orthopaedic Residency: Northwestern University, 2010-2014, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship Training: Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, University of Kentucky, 2014-2015, Lexington, KY
- Board Certified, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Member
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Member