Joseph Brunkhorst, DO
Sports Medicine and Knee, Hip & Shoulder Surgeon
Iowa native, Dr. Joseph Brunkhorst, completed fellowship training in sports medicine and arthroscopy at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Dr. Brunkhorst developed his interest in sports medicine while competing as an NCAA Division I athlete during his undergraduate education at Iowa State University. Prior to joining DMOS in 2015, he also served as a Captain in the U.S. Army.
Dr. Brunkhorst specializes in shoulder and knee arthroscopy, knee ligament reconstruction, and shoulder arthroplasty – including reverse total shoulder arthroplasty, cartilage restoration procedures, including the new MACI and joint injections.
Dr. Brunkhorst also has an interest in hip arthroscopy and enjoys helping patients with new, advanced hip procedures. In addition, he manages the care of sports-related injuries and conditions, as well as workers’ compensation cases. He is committed to continuing education and research, so he is able to offer the most advanced and state-of-the-art treatments to his patients.
Outside of seeing patients, Dr. Brunkhorst enjoys hunting, snow skiing, traveling, and spending time with his family.
- Ankeny · 350 NE 36th Street, Ankeny, IA 50021
- Des Moines University
Des Moines, IA
General Medical Officer
- U.S. Army, 2007 – 2010
- Northwestern University
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, Arthoscopy Association of North America
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Fort Gordon, GA
- Iraq, 2009
- Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy
University of Kentucky
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ), American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Shoulder and knee arthroscopy
- Knee ligament reconstruction
- Shoulder arthroplasty
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty
- Hip arthroscopy
- Cartilage restoration
- Joint injections
- Certified in Matrix-induced autologous chondrocyte implantation (MACI)
Dr. Brunkhorst's Team
Mollie Mortenson, PA-C
Mollie Mortenson completed her Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at Des Moines University.
Doctor Interviews & Insights
Are you looking for a specific doctor or area of specialty?
Either way, we want to get you to the right place.