Ryan Nielsen, D.O.
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon
Dr. Ryan C Nielsen received his medical degree from Des Moines University, and completed an Orthopaedic Surgery Residency in Detroit, Michigan. After residency, Dr Nielsen went on to the Reno Orthopaedic Clinic to complete an Orthopaedic Traumatology Fellowship before returning to Iowa.
Dr Nielsen’s practice focuses predominantly on trauma surgery, as well as some general orthopaedics and joint replacement surgery. His interest and specialty training in trauma include the treatment of both adult and pediatric fractures, polytraumatic injuries, pelvis and acetabular fractures, periarticular fractures, malunion, nonunion, and surgical treatment of musculoskeletal infections. Often seeing patients at their worst after an accident, Dr Nielsen enjoys jointly formulating a treatment plan with his patients’ goals in mind, helping to promote a safe recovery and return to activity.
Dr Nielsen has made contributions to both local and international communities during volunteer work and surgical missions overseas to Tanzania and Uganda. He is a member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Health Volunteers Overseas.
Outside the operating room, Dr Nielsen enjoys being outdoors with his family, cycling, mountain biking, hiking, snow sports, and traveling.
- Medical Education: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines, IA
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Beaumont Hospital, Michigan State University Affiliate, Farmington Hills, MI
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, Reno Orthopaedic Clinic, Reno, NV
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- Michigan Osteopathic Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Trauma
- Health Volunteers Overseas
- Sigma Sigma Phi