Ryan Nielsen, DO
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon
Dr. Ryan C Nielsen received his medical degree from Des Moines University and completed an Orthopedic Surgery Residency in Detroit, Michigan. After residency, Dr. Nielsen went on to the Reno Orthopaedic Clinic to complete an Orthopaedic Traumatology Fellowship before returning to Iowa.
Dr. Nielsen’s practice focuses predominantly on trauma surgery, as well as some general orthopedics and joint replacement surgery. His interest and specialty training in trauma include the treatment of both adult and pediatric fractures, polytraumatic injuries, pelvis, and acetabular fractures, periarticular fractures, malunion, nonunion, and surgical treatment of musculoskeletal infections.
Often seeing patients at their worst after an accident, Dr. Nielsen enjoys jointly formulating a treatment plan with his patients’ goals in mind, helping to promote a safe recovery and return to activity. Dr. Nielsen has made contributions to both local and international communities during volunteer work and surgical missions overseas to Tanzania and Uganda. He is a member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Health Volunteers Overseas.
Outside the operating room, Dr. Nielsen enjoys being outdoors with his family, cycling, mountain biking, hiking, snow sports, and traveling.
- Des Moines · 1301 Penn Ave., Suite 213, Des Moines, Iowa 50316
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines University, College of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines, IA
- Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery
Reno Orthopaedic Clinic
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Beaumont Hospital, Michigan State Univesity Affiliate
Farmington Hills, MI
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- American Osteopathic Association
- Michigan Osteopathic Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Trauma Health Volunteers Overseas
- Sigma Sigma Phi
- Adult and pediatric fractures
- Polytraumatic injuries
- Pelvis and acetabular fractures
- Periarticular fractures
- Malunion and nonunion
- Surgical treatment of musculoskeletal infections
Dr. Nielsen's Team
Seth Hockaday, PA-C
Seth is passionate about working in the medical field because he values being able to make a difference in patients' lives.
Are you looking for a specific doctor or area of specialty?
Either way, we want to get you to the right place.