Summer is the perfect season for fun outdoor activities, great weather, and spending quality time with loved ones. But unfortunately, it is also a time when injuries are prone to happen.
Orthopedic injuries include any damage to the musculoskeletal system, including dislocations, fractures, breaks, impingements, overuse injuries, and sprains.
Not only can orthopedic injuries occur, but also dehydration, sunburns, and dizziness from the heat. So this summer, remember these important tips to have a safe, injury-free summer!
- Stay hydrated: Dehydration is a common cause of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially if you’ll be spending time outside.
- Wear sunscreen: Protect your skin from UV rays by wearing sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Use proper equipment: Whether you’re playing sports or riding a bike, use proper equipment and safety gear. This includes helmets, knee pads, and wrist guards. Using the right equipment and safety gear is essential in many physical activities. Not only does it keep you safe from injuries, but it also helps you perform better. Ensure your equipment fits properly and is in good condition before every use.
- Take breaks: It’s essential to take breaks and rest when you start feeling tired or overheated. This can help prevent exhaustion and other heat-related illnesses.
- Know your limits: Don’t push yourself too hard, especially if you’re not used to physical activity or extreme heat. Listen to your body and take breaks as needed. If you start to feel dizzy or experience any pain, stop the activity immediately and seek medical attention if necessary. Remember, taking it slow and steady is better than pushing yourself too hard and risking injury or illness!
By following these tips, you can help prevent injuries and stay healthy during the summer months. Have fun and stay safe!
In the unfortunate event that you become injured, it’s equally important to receive treatment as soon as possible. Consider visiting one of our Urgent Injury Clinics in West Des Moines or Ankeny to get seen as quickly, or request an appointment with one of our specialists here. No matter the case, we are dedicated to providing the best possible care for our patients and want to help you get back to living!
*Disclaimer: The content of this blog is for informational purposes only. Please consult your healthcare professional for any medical questions. While we make every effort to ensure the information we share is accurate, we welcome comments, suggestions, or corrections of errors. This blog should not be used in any legal capacity whatsoever, including but not limited to establishing a “standard of care” in legal sense or basis for expert witness testimony. No guarantee is given regarding the accuracy of any statements or opinions made on this blog or website. In no way does listening, reading, emailing, or interacting on social media with our content establish a doctor-patient relationship. This blog is not medical advice. If necessary, please seek treatment immediately*